Bach Flower Remedies
As well as herbs, flower remedies are available to deal with anxious or nervous horses, including the Australian Bush Remedies and the famous Bach Flower Remedies.
Bach Flower Remedies are aimed particularly at 'states of mind’ rather than physical conditions. Often a horse’s behaviour will have its origins in previous experiences, trauma, fear, etc. It is important when choosing the remedies to view the ‘problem’ from the horse’s perspective, rather than your own. Several remedies can be combined if you are unsure which one to use. The Bach flower remedies can be administered directly into the horse’s mouth, or by adding to drinking water or a small amount of food. The 39 remedies include the famous Recovery/Rescue Remedy, used as an all-purpose comforter.
Commonly used remedies and target symptoms are:
• Aspen - fear, spooks easily, afraid of unfamiliar things
• Centaury - timid, easily dominated
• Cerato - lack of self confidence
• Cherry Plum - hysteria
• Heather - excessive attention seeking, pacing, banging stable walls
• Larch - lack of confidence in themselves or their owners
• Mimulus - fear of known things, phobias
• Rock Rose – panic, terror, fear of noise (ie, clippers or the farrier)
• Scleranthus - mood swings, imbalances, extreme behaviour
• Sweet Chestnut - mental anguish, abused, self-mutilation
• White Chestnut - anxiety, restlessness, persistent licking, chewing, scratching