Horse Manure Composting: Specific Steps to Start or Improve the Process
June 19, 2015 2:30 pm (Eastern), 1:30 pm (Central), 12:30 pm (Mountain), 11:30 am (Pacific)
Horses can be significant contributors to water-quality impairment with the 50 pounds ofmanure they produce every day. Horse manure compostingis one way to reduce this impact on our natural resources. This webcast will discuss various aspects of composting horse manure.
Bedding options and how they impact the composting process as well asbasic design considerations in large and small operations will be discussed.
How Do I Participate?
On the day of the webcast, go to www.extension.org/58813 to download the speaker’s power point presentations and connect to the virtual meeting room. First time viewers should also follow the steps at: www.extension.org/8924.
For More Information
* Composting and the Benefits: Achieving Practice Change through Education to Reduce Nutrient Loads and Increase Adoption of Best Management Practices – www.extension.org/72780
* Benefits of Bedding Reuse for the Equine Industry – www.extension.org/67724
* Effects of bedding type on compost quality of equine stall waste: Implications for small horse farms –http://www.extension.org/sites/default/files/Komar%20composting%20reprint%202012.pdf
* Manure Management Strategies Webinar -- Help Your Horse, Help the Farm AND Protect Our Water –https://connect.msu.edu/p8yko9zhhoq/launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal
* Pasture Soil Health Brings Great Benefits – http://issuu.com/floridahorse/docs/nov2014fhbinder/0