When we think of bananas we think of a handy, self-contained fruit that is good to grab on the go. It is touted for its value because it is so rich in potassium. We do not realize that it is a power-packing fruit loaded with many other vitamins and minerals.
I remember as a child being given one as soon as a sty appeared in my eye and voila! it was gone within hours of eating a banana.
Many people will mash a piece of banana on a splinter or anything they would like to draw out of their skin. Bananas can be made into paper; the peels have been used to take the sting out of mosquito bites by rubbing them on the affected area. Bananas are Fat Free, Sodium Free and Cholesterol Free...what a plus is that!
Bountiful Benefits of Bananas
- Rich in iron to help stimulate production of hemoglobin. Good to know if you tend toward anemia.
- Rich in potassium to address high blood pressure issues, stress in the body.
- High in fiber and the three sugars, sucrose, fructose and glucose, making it a good energy food source, natural laxative and an aid in keeping blood sugar levels up.
- Rich in B Vitamins to soothe the nervous system.
- Soothing to the stomach to ease ulcers, stomach upsets, nausea and morning sickness.
"A banana a day" is a remedy for many illnesses. If you compare it to an apple, it has twice the carbohydrates, thrice the potassium, 4 times more protein and 5 times as much Vitamin A and iron. Apart from this, the fruit has many important acids, enzymes and physiologically important chemical compounds.