Dry Weather Water Conservation Tips
1. Wash your horse with a sponge and bucket, rather than using a hose.
2. If you must use a hose, attach a nozzle so water is dispensed only when you need it.
3. Don't fill large water tanks; offer smaller portions more frequently.
4. Instead of dumping half-full water buckets down the drain, use that water for sponge baths.
5. Or, dump the water from stall buckets in your empty muck tub or wheel barrow. When this water is poured around a tree or other plantings, the plant receives nutritious mucking sludge and your wheel barrow gets clean!
6. Consider rain barrels to capture rainwater from house and barn roofs.
7. Follow your municipal water restrictions regarding lawn-watering, car-washing (even when they're not in effect).
Thanks to June Evers, Horse Hollow Press ( www.horsehollowpress.com ), for providing Tip #5.