Dr. Frank K. Reilly has practiced exclusively equine medicine and surgery for over twenty years. He graduated with three degrees from the University of Illinois. He has worked at multiple racehorse tracks in Florida, Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania, including on six world-record holders and multiple track record holder horses. Currently the practice works on show hunters/jumpers, race, event, dressage, and pleasure horses. His latest research projects include 1) Insulin and Laminitis, and 2) Unique Stem Cells/Unique Treatments.
Interview with Hilary Self
Hilary Self is co-founder of Hilton Herbs Ltd. Which for 20 years has been at the forefront of manufacturing and formulating herbal products for horses and dogs, Hilary is a medical herbalist and a member of the national Institute of Medical herbalists. Hilary is responsible for the companies formulations and for the clinical research into the use of herbs for animals. Find out more @ HiltonherbsUSA.com
NOTES FROM OUR Interview
- Hirsutism - DUE TO DISTURBANCE OF LIMBIC SYSTEM AND INCREASED ANDROGEN HORMONES
- Polydipsia & Polyurea - AS TUMOUR GROWS AND PRESSES ON AREA OF PITUITARY THAT PRODUCES ANTI DIURETIC HORMONE - KEEP and eye on the water intake and urine output
- Supraorbital fat deposits - area above eyes become filled and raised
- Lethargy & depression – LIMBIC SYSTEM AND PITUITARY AFFECTS EMOTIONS AND ENERGY horse will remove themselves from the group stop interacting. Like they have a headache.
- Hyperhydrosis . – EXCESS sweating in excess of that needed to regulate body temperature control. Clipping helps the horse
- Laminitis – HIGH LEVELS OF CORTISOL, VASOCONSTRICTIVE, .
- Suscepabilty to infection – BLOOD SUGARS IDEAL ENVIRONMENT FOR BACTERIA take care of cuts and watch for urinary infections
- Lowered immune response – HI LEVELS OF STEROIDS IN BODY
- Abdominal distention – CLASSIC SIGN IN HUMANS- Pot belly – break down of stored fats by liver.
- Bilateral blindness - DIABETIC CONDITION LEADS TO RETINAL DYSFUNCTION AND HAEMORRHAGE OF MINUTE BLOOD VESSELS IN EYES.
EFSIS - European Feed Safety Inspection Service - These are a European organisation
SAI GLOBAL - Universal Feed Assurance Scheme - These are a European organisation
NASC - National Animal Supplements Council - You may wish to add that I sit on the NASC Scientific Advisory Committee.
Vitex Agnus Cactus, a Mediterranean Shrub the seed is used also called the Chaste Tree Berry, Monks Pepper
Listen to the interview with Dr. Joyce Harman
Dr. Joyce Harman runs a Veterinary practice is primarily equine, though I work with some cattle. She practices complementary and alternative veterinary medicine (CAVM), using acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy, Chinese and western herbs, lots of nutritional medicine. Saddle fitting is of particular special interest of hers and she has written two books and two DVDs on the topic Her philosophy in a nutshell: The best medicine is whatever works on that day and is the least invasive. Dr. Harman is certified in acupuncture and chiropractic, and has completed advanced training in veterinary homeopathy and herbal medicine.
contact Joyce at Harmanyequine.com
An interview with Melyni Worth, Ph. D. P.A.S. Founder of Foxden Equine. Originally from Great Britain, by way of Kenya, Dr. Worth has a Bachelors degree in Agricultural Biochemistry from Newcastle University, received a Masters
in Equine Nutrition from University College of Wales (Aberystwyth) and a Ph.D in Equine Nutrition and Exercise Physiology from VPI & SU (Virginia Tech). visit: www.FoxdenEquine.com