A Fishy Horse Tale
- Always buy more fish than you think are necessary for the water trough size. Plan on half of the fish dying; try to end up with about 2 fish per 60 gallons.
- Check with the goldfish supplier to confirm that the fish are hardy (if the seller’s tank is contaminated it takes time to clear disease).
- Keep new fish in their bag overnight, floating in the trough, to acclimate them to the water temperature BEFORE opening the bag.
- Once released, some fish die within the first 4 days.
- The trough can stay crystal clear with only sediment on the bottom.
- After a rain the trough will naturally become temporarily dirty.
- If the fish are not doing their job, the sides of the trough can become covered in algae.