[ Editor’s Note: Proposed legislation to require labeling of genetically-modified ingredients in food continues to generate controversy, as evidenced by Ballot Initiative 522 recently failing in Washington state. Maine and Connecticut have passed GMO labeling laws, although Connecticut’s labeling law won’t take effect until other New England states pass similar labeling requirements. Labeling laws do not ban GMOs; they simply provide transparency. Our friends at A-B-C ( www.abcplus.biz ) recently shared this article, originally appearing in NaturalNews.com]:
To help see through the propaganda smoke screen laid down by the GMO hucksters, here are seven damaging effects of GMOs - with reference links.
1. GMOs disrupt digestion. Even though Big Pharma claims GMO food is identical to natural food, a study in the journal Nature Biotechnology shows that transgenic plant DNA actually persists in the human gastrointestinal tract and transfers into the DNA of living bacteria in the gut, where it reproduces indefinitely. ( http://www.anh-usa.org )
2. GMOs cause cancer. The recently released bombshell Seralini Study on GMOs and cancer rats fed a lifetime of GMOs sprayed with the toxic Roundup (glyphosate) herbicide developed serious tumors that took over their entire bodies ( http://www.naturalnews.com )
3. GMOs increase herbicide use. The Washington State University’s Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources reports that herbicide use has increased by an astounding 527 million pounds since GMOs were first introduced. Glyphosate (Roundup) has been found to persist in soils, waterways, and other environmental nooks and crannies, contaminating water supplies. ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com )
4. GMOs damage native species. Contamination of native species with GMOs leads to the permanent destruction of their integrity. Then when food crops are inadvertently contaminated, Monsanto sues the injured party for patent infringement. GMOs have been linked to the destruction of bees, bats, butterflies, and other pollinators.
5. GMOs pollute the environment. GMOs and the chemicals used to grow them are a major source of environmental pollution. A 2011 report in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science found that the Bacillus thuriengensis (Bt) bacteria engineered into Monsanto’s GM corn can now be found in hundreds of streams and waterways and groundwater sources throughout the U.S. Midwest. ( http://naturalsociety.com )
6. GMOs deplete soil minerals, destroy beneficial bacteria. Roundup, Bt bacteria, and other GMO byproducts actually degrade and deplete soils of vital minerals and beneficial bacteria, both of which protect crops from pests, viruses, and other threatening elements. Glyphosate does not biodegrade, which means it is continually accumulating in the environment without restraint, perpetually altering soil composition and contaminating natural resources. ( http://www.psrast.org/soilecolart.htm )
7. GMOs spawn crop-destroying ‘superweeds,’ ‘superbugs’. The indiscriminate use of this flawed technology has fostered the emergence of resistant strains of weeds and bacteria. As a result, pestilence and disease is on the rise due to GMOs, which spells eventual disaster for the food supply.
Original article link: http://www.naturalnews.com/038792_GMO_toxicity_digestion_cancer.html#ixzz2Jf3dciEh