If you and your horse would like to ride greener, live more sustainably, or join - or lead - the charge toward saving the world, check out these ten books that help horse-loving kids, teens, and adults celebrate Earth Day every day!
1. The Green Guide for Horse Owners and Riders: Sustainable Practices for Horse Care, Stable Management, Land Use, and Riding by Heather Cook: (Teens, Adults) Changing the world has never been so easy. If you care for - or just care about! - horses, you can use the tips and techniques, success stories, ideas, and inspiration that Cook offers in this superbly researched, comprehensive guide to transform your riding, your farm, and your town - and to imagine and gallop into a greener future.
2. Eco-Horsekeeping: Over 100 Budget-Friendly Ways You and Your Horse Can Save the Planet by Lucinda Dyer: (Teens, Adults) Keep the planet and your wallet full of green. Dyer's clever, quick swaps and innovative longer-term projects show equestrians how to save the Earth - and energy, time, and cash - without compromising on style, convenience, and fun.
3. Pets and the Planet: A Practical Guide to Sustainable Pet Care by Carol Frischmann: (Teens, Adults) This nose-to-tail handbook on green care for cats, dogs, and other small animal companions will help you ensure that the Earth loves your Jack Russells and barn cats as much as you do.
4. The New 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth by John and Sophie Javna: (Kids, Teens, Adults) Now updated for the 21st century, this internationally best-selling classic gives kids pint-sized but powerful tools for exploring, understanding, and protecting the planet. (Pair 50 Simple Things with book #10, Emma Dilemma, The Nanny, and The Best Horse Ever, to show young horse lovers how equestrianism and eco-consciousness can go hand-in-hoof!)
5. Ecotourists Save the World: The Environmental Volunteer's Guide to More Than 300 International Adventures to Conserve, Preserve, and Rehabilitate Wildlife and Habitats by Pamela Brodowsky and the National Wildlife Federation: (Kids, Teens, Adults) Why stop saving the world at the pasture fence? With these detailed listings of global volunteer opportunities, internships, and adventure travel, you and your family can make an enduring difference in the world's most endangered places.
Want to read all ten picks? Check out the full post, Celebrate Earth Day Every Day: Top Ten Books on Green Riding, Sustainable Living, and How Equestrians Can Save the World, on Vanessa Wright's blog, www.GreatBooksforHorseLovers.com , at http://www.GreatBooksforHorseLovers.com/2011/04/gallop-into-green-life-green-guide-for.html