From farrier to barefoot trimmer to rider to trainer to veterinarian … there’s information for
every horse caregiver in the new horse care book, A Modern Look At ... THE HOOF. The newly released book is published by Outskirts Press.
Keeping horses comfortable and sound can be a complicated and often times stressful process not only for the owner, but also for hoof care professionals. Author Monique Craig – a hoof researcher, farrier, consultant to farriers and rider – started her learning journey out personal frustration with these same issues. Her goal was initially just to find solutions for her own horses. Eventually, her 20+ years of hoof research yielded results applicable to every horse.
This book is a new look at the hoof, focusing on a detailed look at its morphology (shape) and function, and discussing implications for how the hoof should be trimmed and cared for. Topics addressed within this inclusive hoof-care volume include:
- An introduction to hoof anatomy and structure – bones, hoof capsule, sole shape, pedal bone shape, weight bearing, false sole, the exfoliation cycle, toe callus and bevel, weather and soil mechanics, hoof packing, thrush, break over, tendon mechanics, and more.
- Measuring the hoof – including material on the natural asymmetry of the hoof capsule and bones of the lower leg of the horse. The ramifications of these asymmetries have been rarely discussed in any other equine literature.
- Assessing the hoof – topic materials include annotated color images illustrating what constitutes a “normal” hoof, painstakingly collected by the author over 20 years of hoof trimming.
- The Epona Trim – author discusses her approach to trimming and assessing the hoof, addressing the natural asymmetry of the hoof and leg, as well as relating the trim to the boney column of the leg.
- Shoeing – including discussion of shoe placement and attachment methods (gluing, nailing or casting).
Craig – founder of EponaTech and the Epona-Institute, and inventor of the EponaShoe polyurethane shoe – includes an in-depth discussion of 16 case studies drawn from real-world application of her shoeing approach. The author presents a variety of other well-researched and documented information rarely addressed in other sources, if at all.
A Modern Look At ... THE HOOF is a must for anyone wishing to be well-versed in the hoof. The book contains more than 300 color images, many with measurements and annotations, and will be of interest to students of the equine hoof, be they farrier, barefoot trimmer, rider, trainer or
A Modern Look At ... THE HOOF is available from several outlets summarized at www.EponaBook.com. It is available online through Outskirts Press at www.outskirtspress.com/bookstore, also through www.Amazon.com and www.BarnesandNoble.com.
ISBN: 978-1-4787-3531-1 Format: 8 x 10 color paperback Retail: $79.95
ISBN: 978-1-4787-3532-8 Format: 8 x 10 color hard cover Retail: $99.95
Kindle: $9.99 Nook: $9.99 iPad: $9.99
Genre: PETS / Horses / Nature / Animals
For more information about A Modern Look At ... THE HOOF, visit the book page at the author’s webpage, www.OutskirtsPress.com/thehoof.
About the Author: Monique Craig is a hoof researcher, farrier, consultant to farriers, rider, author and founder of EponaTech (www.Metron-Imaging.com), EponaShoe (www.EponaShoe.com) and the Epona-Institute (www.Epona-Institute.org). She has a BS in Computer Science Engineering, formerly studied art and won sculpture awards, and now gives seminars and lectures on the hoof, trimming, shoeing and equine biomechanics. She has published several papers related to the hoof and soundness and gives lectures at the college level in hoof biomechanics. A tri-lingual native of Switzerland, she became a United States citizen in 2001. For more information about Monique Craig and her book, contact the author at 805-239-3505 or email Monique@eponatech.com.
About Outskirts Press, Inc.: Outskirts Press offers full-service, custom self-publishing and book marketing services for authors seeking a cost-effective, fast, and flexible way to publish and distribute their books worldwide while retaining all their rights and full creative control.
# # #
Outskirts Press, Inc., 10940 S. Parker Rd - 515, Parker, Colorado 80134